The wagon yard at Fort Union National Monument, New Mexico, still contains wooden wheels and supply wagons of the era. Fort Union, located near the town of Watrous, was first established in 1851 to act as the central military post and supply hub for the other posts in New Mexico. Both cavalry and infantry were garrisoned in the fort. The main supply line to this area was the Santa Fe Trail and the ruts are clearly visible across the prairie surrounding the fortress. Once the railroad was established in the area, the usefulness of the Santa Fe Trail diminished and eventually the fort was abandoned in 1891. Today, remnants of the adobe walls, stone foundations, and brick chimneys still stand. Fort Union was established as a National Monument in 1954.
July 1st, 2016
Viewed 1,231 Times - Last Visitor from Fairfield, CT on 09/28/2023 at 4:36 PM